For Individualized Instruction we create a customized course for UChicago degree-seeking students and postdoctoral scholars for whom English is an additional language. Potential students must meet with one of our language pedagogy specialists to design their course in one or more of the following categories:
- English for Career Professionalization
- Discipline-Specific English
- Other relevant foci based on student needs
Once it is determined that individualized instruction is a good fit for the student, registration is allowed.
Rules and Reminders
- I understand that these courses are not tutoring sessions. I must commit to a regular time and day either weekly or biweeekly.
- I must arrive on time to each class session. If I arrive more than 5 minutes late, my instructor may cancel the session.
- If I am enrolled in a writing course, I understand that under no circumstances will my instructor be able to assist me with proofreading or editing. (I can request information on how to improve my personal proofreading and editing skills, however.)
- At the ELI, the instructors are trained professionals. They want me to be successful and will provide high-quality, individualized instruction. I understand that this, however, does not guarantee that my academic goals will be reached.
Each one-hour session costs $50 (minimum 5 sessions).
Note: We will conduct an intake to make sure Individualized Instruction is a good fit for your needs.
March 24, 2021 Update: For the time being, all I.I. sessions will be conducted remotely due to COVID-19.
If you do not see the form embedded below, please log in with your UChicago email address
March 18, 2020 Update: For the time being, all I.I. sessions will be conducted remotely due to COVID-19.
“I took the Written Communication: Crafting Varied and Impactful Sentences course because I wanted to improve my academic writing. This course has helped me to identify some frequent grammatical errors I tend to make. It provided me tools to make better word choices, to manage information flow within a sentence, and to tighten and clarify long sentences. I recommend this course to all international students who want to improve their English writing and editing skills.”
“I took Spoken Communication: Conversation on Context because it is important to communicate well, especially in job interviews. You want employers to feel comfortable with you. I loved learning concepts like bluffing, which is more difficult for international students to do. You’re using other parts of your brain. Other students should take this class because of all the practice it gives you with a professor who is an expert in speaking. At the end of the day, if you want to stay in the U.S. and work, it is important to have excellent communication skills.”
Socialize with us:
ELI Social Media Blog
Join our Listserv