ESL / EAL College Core Writing Tutor
The English Language Institute offers a Writing Tutor for University of Chicago College students with ESL/EAL needs.
Due to COVID-19, all ESL/EAL College Core Writing Tutor appointments will happen remotely until further notice
Writing Tutoring will resume Sunday, January 17, 2021
NOTE: The Writing Tutor is not permitted to edit/proofread student work directly, but can identify issues or patterns of error. The tutor also may not review more than 10 pages of text (Times New Roman font, size 12, double-spaced) in a session.
The ESL/EAL College Core Writing Tutor can:
- Discuss the specifications of an upcoming writing assignment
- Assist in selecting the appropriate wording/phrasing
- Identify patterns of error in grammar and punctuation
- Provide tips on producing greater sentence variety
- Identify instances of ambiguity
- Comment on an essay’s organization and information flow
- Provide tips on including North American stylistic features to an essay
- Help evaluate and integrate sources or cited literature
- Discuss voice, formality, and tone of an essay
- Provide self-editing tips and direct students to helpful writing resources
Calendar of Tutoring Sessions (Winter 2021)
Meet our Winter 2021 Tutors
Kat hails from New Jersey and has lived in Chicago for over 5 years. She loves tutoring writing because she enjoy helping students map out structure and know that they’re proving their main point in their papers.
She is a PhD Candidate in Linguistics. Her research focuses on emergent sign languages in Nicaragua and Costa Rica. She loves tracing factors that affect language development.
Abigail comes from Tennessee and has lived in Chicago for a little over a year. She loves tutoring writing because she enjoys helping students understand and implement writing concepts and supporting them to be more confident in their writing ability.
She graduated from UChicago’s MAPSS program in August 2020 with a concentration in History. Her research focused on the ways in which early modern authors crafted narratives about supernatural occurrences in order to support the credibility of their claims.
Socialize with us:
ELI Social Media Blog
Join our Listserv