ESL / EAL College Core Writing Tutor
The English Language Institute offers a Writing Tutor for University of Chicago College Core students with ESL/EAL needs.
Writing Tutoring will resume Thursday January 20th.
NOTE: The Writing Tutor is not permitted to edit/proofread student work directly, but can identify issues or patterns of error. The tutor also may not review more than 10 pages of text (Times New Roman font, size 12, double-spaced) in a session.
The ESL/EAL College Core Writing Tutor can:
- Discuss the specifications of an upcoming writing assignment
- Assist in selecting the appropriate wording/phrasing
- Identify patterns of error in grammar and punctuation
- Provide tips on producing greater sentence variety
- Identify instances of ambiguity
- Comment on an essay’s organization and information flow
- Provide tips on including North American stylistic features to an essay
- Help evaluate and integrate sources or cited literature
- Discuss voice, formality, and tone of an essay
- Provide self-editing tips and direct students to helpful writing resources
Calendar of Tutoring Sessions (Winter 2022)
Meet our Spring 2022 Tutor
Nathan Smith has a B.A. in Anthropology and Philosophy (Bard College, 2009) and an M.A. in Humanities with a focus on English Literature (University of Chicago, 2020). He has worked as an editor and writer in fine art publishing and activist media, and his academic interests concern social creativity surrounding environmentalism and decolonization. He attended international schools as a child and loves working with students for whom English is a second/additional language. In addition to tutoring with the ELI, he teaches writing in the Humanities and Social Sciences cores.
Socialize with us:
ELI Social Media Blog
Join our Listserv