The Academic English Pre-Matriculation Program (AEPP) is a rigorous and intensive, yet tremendously rewarding course designed to build oral proficiency in North American English with a specific focus on Chicago. It is for incoming international students for whom English is an additional (or second) language and who have not previously lived or studied in the United States. The AEPP features interwoven linguistic, cultural and academic objectives and students interact with a range of native and non-native English speakers as they explore UChicago, Hyde Park and the City of Chicago. Our curriculum is proficiency-driven which means students will be seriously challenged regardless of their level of English.
In the AEPP students:
- Build spontaneous speaking skills in high stress academic and non-academic contexts and refine knowledge of linguistic pragmatics, including register (formality).
- Improve pronunciation, word stress and intonation and learn about how different ‘foreign accents’ are perceived by people in the United States.
- Engage deeply with the people and places in Chicago, learning about its past, present and future dreams, and its incredible diversity, including the varieties of English spoken here.
- Refine North American writing conventions and strategies including composing efficient and well-written electronic communications.
- Meet and network with students and professionals from different countries and areas of expertise.