ESL / EAL College Core Writing Tutor
The English Language Institute offers a Writing Tutor for University of Chicago College students with ESL/EAL needs.
March 19, 2020 Update: Due to COVID-19, all ESL/EAL College Core Writing Tutor appointments for Spring 2020 quarter will happen remotely
Writing Tutoring has concluded for Spring 2020. We will resume after classes start in Autumn 2020.
The ESL/EAL College Core Writing Tutor can:
- Discuss the specifications of an upcoming writing assignment
- Assist in selecting the appropriate wording/phrasing
- Identify patterns of error in grammar and punctuation
- Provide tips on producing greater sentence variety
- Identify instances of ambiguity
- Comment on an essay’s organization and information flow
- Provide tips on including North American stylistic features to an essay
- Help evaluate and integrate sources or cited literature
- Discuss voice, formality, and tone of an essay
- Provide self-editing tips and direct students to helpful writing resources
Calendar of Tutoring Sessions (Spring 2020)
Meet our Spring 2020 Tutors
She is a PhD student in Linguistics. In her research, she wants to understand how people create meaning in the minds, because although it is a natural and automatic subconscious process, we don’t really understand it at all.
She is applying to PhD programs in anthropology. Her research interests include free speech, language ideology, and how people’s life experiences intersect with their language use.
Socialize with us:
Join our Listserv