Individualized Instruction (limited availability)
For individualized instruction we create a customized course for UChicago degree students and postdoctoral scholars for whom English is an additional language. Potential students must meet with one of our language pedagogy specialists to design their course in one or more of the following categories:
- English for Career Professionalization
- Discipline-Specific English
- Other relevant foci based on student needs
Once it is determined that individualized instruction is a good fit for the student, registration is allowed.
There is a five-session minimum, and each one-hour session costs $50.
Register for Autumn 2017 Individualized Instruction >>
Rules & Reminders
To be accepted into ELI customized courses, you must agree to the following:
- I understand that these courses are not tutoring sessions. I must commit to a regular time and day either weekly or biweeekly.
- must arrive on time to each class session. If I arrive more than 5 minutes late, my instructor may cancel the session.
- If I am enrolled in a writing course, I understand that under no circumstances will my instructor be able to assist me with proofreading or editing. (I can request information on how to improve my personal proofreading and editing skills, however.)
- At the ELI, the instructors are trained professionals. They want me to be successful and will provide high-quality, individualized instruction. I understand that this, however, does not guarantee that my academic goals will be reached.